This is far one of the easiest ways to add a homemade flair to your holiday goody gifts. Although not a fan of making truffles or fudge, I found that this peppermint bark couldn’t be easier.
The ingredient list is simple:
Start with only the best quality white chocolate chips – I like Ghiradelli, crush some peppermint candy canes, add a little food coloring (optional) and peppermint extract. Here are the quantities I use:
2 bags Ghiradelli white chocolate chips (11 oz each)
7 – 8 peppermint candy canes
1 tsp peppermint extract – or to your taste
Optional: a drop or two or red food coloring to add a richer color.
- Unwrap canes and break into chunks. Place into a ziplock bag and hammer on a wooden cutting board until candy is crushed into pieces no larger than 1/4 inch. Set aside for step 3.
- Melt chips in the top of a double boiler (If you don’t have one, try a glass or stainless bowl on top of a pot of simmering water). You can also microwave, but make sure you heat only a minute at a time, stirring to melt completely. DO NOT OVERHEAT CHOCOLATE in microwave or you will end up with a stiff mess of chocolate that will end up in the trash!
- Add crushed canes to chocolate and stir well.
- Add extract and optional food coloring.
- Spread on to a wax paper covered baking sheet (I use a 10 x 15 baking sheet)
- Place in refrigerator for 30 – 45 minutes to harden, then break into pieces and store in a tightly covered cookie tin.
Enjoy and be creative with this by trying some of the other flavored varieties of candy canes available!
- Easy Holiday Treats: Chocolate Peppermint Bark Recipe (ctworkingmoms.com)
- Holidays With Honey – Honey Peppermint Truffles (romancingthebee.com)
- Peppermint Bark (youandmie.wordpress.com)